Our OBX Taste of The Beach
Every March, there is an OBX Taste of the Beach event that takes place across the Outer Banks, celebrating all things food. Participating restaurants showcase the best of their menu or special menu items across 4 days. This is often coupled with special events, like a cook off or cooking showdown, wine tasting, tapas crawls, cooking classes and more. The final day of the 4 day spectacle always has a Grand Tasting event. Multiple restaurants gather in one location and customers are able to sample infinitely from their offerings. Each event offers tickets for a fee. If interested, you should review the Taste of the Beach website and make your plans. Careful and act fast! Some of these events sell out. https://www.obxtasteofthebeach.com/
Our Taste of The Beach
While the TOTB event is organized by the Outer Banks Restaurant Association, Crystal and I often conduct our own TOTB event. With each visit out to the coast, we have our own list of restaurants that we consider visiting. There are so many, that we can never get to them all. So we compromise based on what we had our prior visit and what we feel like eating currently. It becomes quite the debate at times. After all, food at the OBX made it into our top 10. https://mvillaobx.com/our-obx-top-10/ Please see our list below. Note that they are in no particular order.
Our OBX Restaurant List
- Art’s Place, Kitty Hawk. Local hang out. You will not be disappointed. 1/2 lb of fresh burger greatness.
- Jack Browns Beer and Burger Joint, Kill Devil Hills. Local hang out, right next door to the condo. Wagyu beef and craft beer.
- John’s Drive In, Kitty Hawk. Legend. Careful parking as their parking lot is almost non existent. Fresh Angus burgers (10.6oz for their large). Their Dolphin (Mahi) boat is a must.
Seafood and more
- Blue Moon Beach Grill, Nags Head. Fried oysters and crabcake are fantastic. One of the best shrimp n grits.
- Black Pelican, Kitty Hawk. Fisherman’s risotto and mixed grill (steak and fish) are favorites. Coconut creme pie for dessert.
- Kill Devil Grill, Kill Devil Hills. Their blackboard specials are legendary. Go early, they sell out. Key lime pie for dessert.
- Coastal Cravings, Southern Shores. We’ve tried their crabcake and lobster roll. Very good.
- I Got Your Crabs, Kitty Hawk. One of the best she crab soups. Fresh shellfish. Happy hours 2-3pm and 6-7pm during the week off season. $6 per dozen for oysters and clams.
- Colington Cafe, Kill Devil Hills. Better make a reservation. Great mix of steaks and seafood.
- Barefoot Bernie’s, Kitty Hawk. Love their lunch menu and specials. Red snapper reuben is awesome.
- Miller’s Steaks and Seafood, Kill Devil Hills. Right down beach road. Get seated between 4-5pm and take 20% off your entrees.
- Jolly Roger, Kill Devil Hills. $1.99 breakfast off season. Scratch made foods.
- Ten O Six, Kill Devil Hills. Local to the condo. Very good for a quick stop to pick up a breakfast burrito.
- Stack em High, Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk. Family owned legend. A bit of everything.
- Biscuits n Porn, Nags Head. Big, flavorful biscuits. Cheese biscuits. Must try.
- Bob’s Grill Eat and Get the Hell out! Huge platter sized pancakes and usual breakfast items.
Cheap eats, but VERY good
- Spanky’s, Kitty Hawk. Everything on the menu. Burgers, hot dogs, fish sandwiches and more. Fresh food.
- Hurricane Mo’s, Kitty Hawk. Known for their shrimp and wing special during happy hour. 3-6p off season. 3-5p in season. 35c wings and 15c shrimp. $1 tacos
Tacos and the like
- Bad Bean Baja Grill, Kitty Hawk. Very gourmet style tacos. Fresh. $2 tacos on Thursday nights offseason.
- Mama Kwans, Kill Devil Hills. Legendary mahi tacos. Love their fried green beans as well.
- Slice, Kill Devil Hills. Can’t go wrong. $10 cheese pizza pies off season.
- Sal’s NY Pizza, Kill Devil Hills. Local to the condo. Good.
- Country Deli, Kill Devil Hills. Huge, fresh sandwiches and sides.
- Stop n Shop, Kill Devil Hills. Good sandwiches.
- Duck Donuts, all over the OBX. An institution. Careful, they close early off season.
- Jolly Roger, Blue Moon Beach Grill, Kill Devil Grill, Miller’s Steaks and Seafood and the Black Pelican all have house made desserts.
- Billy’s Seafood, Kill Devil Hills. Mini mart and fresh seafood. Great place to grab the day’s catch and cook it at home. You can get crabs and shrimp steamed here as well.
- Austin Fish Company, Nags Head. Another good place to grab food to cook at home. They also have a kitchen area where they will cook prepare fish sandwiches and the like for you.
- O’Neals Seafood Harvest, Wanchese. Wanchese is the seafood Mecca, where many of the commercial outfitters are. O’Neals has a nice little seafood market and they also prepare many of the items for lunch.
There are so many other places that are on our list to try. It’s just so difficult to move on from what we know and love already. We’ll slowly try to branch out and report back. Enjoy and bon appetite!
We look forward to having you as our guests!